Girls Scouts of Northeast Texas
Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas was born from the merger of the Cross Timbers, Red River Valley, and Tejas Girl Scout Councils in 2007.
Our roots began in 1917 when Buelah Harris – the first recognized Girl Scout in Texas - organized the Denton Girl Scouts with 70 girls in three Girl Scout Troops. The Denton Girl Scouts continued to thrive, gathering girls from surrounding cities. In 1956, a merger of the Cooke, Denton, Grayson, Montague and Wise County councils formed the Cross Timbers Council.
Similarly, the Paris Texas Council, chartered in 1921, later became incorporated as the Red River Valley Council serving eight Texas counties; and the Dallas Council, established in 1920, grew to merge with the Chisholm Trail Girl Scout Council and become the Tejas Girl Scout Council serving 11 counties. In 1970, the Tejas council welcomed a portion of the membership from the former East Texas Girl Scout Council and expanded to serve 20 counties.
Today, the Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas covers 32 counties and provides traditional programs as well as community outreach and education programs to meet the broad leadership development needs of all girls and adult volunteers in the diverse communities we serve.